|Baskin Engineering Lab Support|
-- Main.Robert Vitale - 30 May 2008
UCSC School of Engineering OptIPuter System - Initial Wiki Site
For use and operational information, please see the CITRIS/ITI webpage at http://www.iti.ucsc.edu/optiputer
Table of Contents
To reserve time on the Opitputer; please email; firstname.lastname@example.org or contact Tammy Tooley Cheloossi.
Design and Engineering Team
Optiportal Wiki Site at UCSD IT2
For the OptiPuter? , the use of 30 inch displays -- gaining many more pixels -- is appealing for scientific visualization and for making a wall of data / images for careful study.
1. What will the system be used for?
Possible uses are for Scientific Visulation of Data (Viz), High Defn Video Teleconferencing (VTC), Development and Relationship building (WoW? ), Scientific Calculations (Cals).
2. Who will be the users of the system?
Potential users are:
Counting WoW? -6; Viz-5; VTC- 3; Calcs-0
3. What are the most important characteristics of the system?
Display large data sets.
4. What type of computer should we use (rack or desktop)?
A subgroup feels we should go with desktop units as we have a better chance of fitting high end graphics cards. Also the nodes could be re-purposed should additonal funds be made available to upgrade the computers
5. What type of monitor should we use (24" or 30')?
Subgroup in agreement with 30in displays with as high of resolution as possible. 24in displays do not provide sufficient WoW?
6. Monitor Type?
7. Graphics Card type?
IT2 recommends the following graphics cards; Nivida Gforce 8800 (med) or Nivida Quadra FX5600 (high end). Another system did use the less expensive card Nivdia GX-570. The group has settled on the nVidia Quardro FX-570 card as higher end cards may be too expensive for us at this time.
8. How many monitors to drive from each node (2 or 4)?
Subgroup recommended driving 4 monitors from each node. The intent is to add nodes if needed but use current funding to get most band for buck.
9. What are the important specs on the CPU?
CPU Type: Need Quad Core; use dual CPU for head node
10. Size of optiportal?
5/13/08: Pat Mantey said 5 high by 8 wide using 30" displays is what he'd like to see. Using 1 node to drive 4 monitors is ok, even if there is a risk of it not working. More computers can be purchased later if necessary.
HP LP3065 30-in Widescreen Display Cut Sheet
- Have inital quote for 80/20 frame material for one column and for all 8 columns. Review to ensure fits HP monitors.
- DVI-D video cables. Determine length required.
- The following equipment for HD VTC add-on have been purchased; HD camera, Codex, noise cancelling mic.
© 2014 UC Santa Cruz • All Rights Reserved
1156 High St, Santa Cruz, CA 95064 • 831-459-2158 •